FANS Ultra Racers,
Thank you for providing your feedback on options for the 2020 FANS race, and for your kind words of encouragement as we all work through the impact of the pandemic together.
The race committee has made the decision to postpone the 2020 race until August 29-30 in hopes that an actual physical race experience is still possible. In the event that this cannot happen, we are considering virtual options. The final determination will be made in the near future and we will share developments with you as they occur.
The current race entry fees will remain the same until August 1.
We are especially grateful to those who have shown interest in donating or raising funds for the Pillsbury United Communities FANS Scholarship Fund. Regardless of what happens with the race this year, we are committed to this mission. Please look for further communications on continued fundraising.
2020 Race Director
Thank you to the 74 participants who responded to the poll to determine what we should do with this year's race. Your comments were most helpful and will guide the race committee's discussion on April 13 in making the final decision about the race.
Here are the total votes for each option.
Option 1 (virtual race)
Option 2 (postpone to August 29-30)*
Option 3 (cancel)
*The Fort Snelling State Park director indicated that the park is available for the race on August 29-30, but not September 5-6.
We will post the race committee's final decision on April 14.
After thoughtful discussion and consideration, the race committee decided not to hold the races on June 6-7 this year.
With the COVID-19 pandemic plus related strain on healthcare and other critical services, we don’t want to put our participants, volunteers, vendors, and supporters at risk. Especially not our FANS youth for whom the event is held. We hope you can understand and support our decision, as difficult as it is.
With popular distance events such as the Boston marathon (rescheduled to September 14), Get in Gear (cancelled), and Grandma’s marathon (cancelled) impacted by the pandemic, it has been a challenging year for distance athletes. We, like you, are eager to see an end to the pandemic as soon as possible. Thus, we support the orders for social distancing and other practices to reduce the COVID-19 impact.
However, it is vitally important to us that we try to still raise funds for the FANS scholarships. This year’s class of 18 seniors truly depends on the scholarship funds to help them attend the college or university of their choice.
Last year we raised $21,000 for the scholarship funds. We would be excited to raise close to that amount again this year. With that in mind, we want to poll our current registered participants along with those of you who are planning to participate.
Please consider which of the following options you support for 2020.
Rank your preferences with 1, 2 and 3.
Due to the advance notice of the race change, we will be offering three options for your 2020 entry fees. You will be able to donate, defer, or refund your registration fees. On behalf of the student recipients of the FANS Scholarship Fund, we encourage you to consider donating the entry fee. We will follow up with you after a decision is made on virtual, postponement, or cancellation.
Please send me your ranked preferred choices (1, 2, and 3) to firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday night April 9. We’ll post the poll results on Friday April 10. Then the race committee will meet on Monday April 13 to discuss the next steps.
Thank you so much for your continued support of the FANS Ultra Races and the wonderful FANS students. We wish you, your family and friends, and your community the best of health during these trying times.
2020 Race Director